The White Tower of Thessaloniki (Λευκός ΠύργοςLefkos Pyrgos)
The White Tower of Thessaloniki (Greek: Λευκός ΠύργοςLefkos Pyrgos), is a monument and museum on the waterfront of the city of Thessaloniki, capital of the region of Macedonia in northern Greece. Originally constructed by the Ottomans to fortify the city's harbour.
It was substantially remodeled and its exterior was whitewashed after Greece gained control
The tower, which once guarded the eastern end of the city's sea walls, was for many years attributed to Venice, to which the Byzantines ceded Thessaloniki in 1423. It is now known definitely that the tower was constructed by the Ottomans some time in 1430.
The present tower likely replaced an older Byzantine tower mentioned by the 12th century archbishop Eustathios.
The Tower was for centuries part of the walls of the old city of Thessaloniki. The city walls were demolished in 1866.
The Tower is now a buff colour but has retained the name White Tower. It now stands on Thessaloniki's waterfront boulevard, Nikis (Victory) Street. It houses a museum dedicated to the history of Thessaloniki and is one of the city's leading tourist attractions. The Tower is under the administration of the Ephorate of Byzantine Antiquities of the Greek Ministry of Culture.